Documentation for telnet interface?

Hello! I’ve been experimenting a bit with the telnet interface hamalert.org:7300. I am able to login successfully and use the commands mentioned under https://hamalert.org/destinations (sh/dx 20 and set/json). I see streaming alerts as expected, in either text or json - so everything works fine!

My question is - is there a full list of supported commands published anywhere? Or any kind of “help” command interface I could use? I’ve tried a handful of commands like help, h, list, ?, and so forth, with no luck so far.

Thanks!

There are no supported commands other than those already documented (sh/dx N and set/json). The cluster emulation is very basic, as it is intended to support only the bare minimum necessary to stream alerts to some other application.

1 Like

Understood - thought it would be worth asking just to see if there were any other hidden gems in there to play with. :wink:

Thanks again!

Hey, as a quick follow-up question… Would it be possible to implement any kind of “heartbeat” type of command, to ensure the connection is active?

I’m experimenting a bit with a python-based monitor of the telnet feed via an asynchronous i/o library… I’m currently relying on the underlying telnet protocol itself to know if/when a disconnection happens.

It might be more robust if there could be some kind of heartbeat command to verify the client is still able to communicate with the server - just something really simple like hb or something to get a standard reply (maybe just the string “ok” or something) - or if you wanted to make something arguably more useful/flexible, maybe support for a time or datetime command that replies with the current system time/datetime?

Just throwing out some ideas - let me know if you feel like implementing something like that.

Thanks again so much for everything!

Looking at the server-side code, I realize I forgot to mention one previously undocumented command. If you send echo foo, the server will send back foo.

1 Like

Fantastic! Tested and works perfectly.

Thanks again so much!